Notes from the White Clover Farm Kitchen
Hearty and healthy this Vegetable Beef Barley Soup is cooked with beef marrow bones for an extra nutrient and flavor blast:
- 2 bone in grass fed shanks,
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots cubed
- 2 celery ribs chopped
- 1 large potato or 2 medium, cubed into 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 teaspoons beef base
- 8 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can diced tomatoes or 2 fresh tomatoes diced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup barley cooked seperately
- In 5 or 6 quart pressure cooker brown beef on all sides in oil.
- Stir in all ingredients EXCEPT tomatoes.
- Lock lid on pressure cooker (follow the directions and safety precauctions of your
pressure cooker)and cook on high until the weight begins to
- Lower heat to slow consistent “jiggle”/hiss and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let pressure release conventionally.
- Stir in tomatoe and return to stove and simmer an additional 5-10 minutes
- Cook barley separately and add.
- Cut beef off bones and return to pot.